From where to backup zfs bind mounts with proxmox-backup-client

Sep 12, 2024
Hi!

I have a zfs pool on my Proxmox host which is used for the VM/LCXs and data storage. I use bind mounts to a LXC which serves as a Samba file server / NAS and then shares the data storage to all the clients.
This is naturally not backed up to Proxmox Backup Server so I use proxmox-backup-client to backup up the data storage on file level.
I just wonder where would be the best point to avoid data corruption? I could do it on the Proxmox host, in the NAS-LXC or in another VM which mounts the SMB shares.
I first tried on the NAS-LXC which is backing up fine as it seems, but there are some strange corruptions to the log files the cron job outputs to one of the shared folders. I read those log files on another VM with promtail / loki to visualize them to a grafana instance and the log file gets corrupted after some appends and just outputs "^@^@^@^@^@" - so I wonder if I am missing something in the backup process.

Any clues?
Str1atum

I do it completely differently. (if I understand you correctly...)
I backup my LXC's (only the data) with BackupPC directly via SSH to the Proxmox host. This means I don't have a layer in between and the backup works independently of the container. It has worked perfectly for many years, including Recover.

Weil, I don‘t think I‘d need another piece of software since PBS does the job extremely well. I just wonder - from a file system perspective - what the best solution would be.

If you didn't use bindmounts but a subvol, you wouldn't have to worry about the backup. Then it would work with PBS. Wouldn't that be an option for you?

You’re right, I could just upsize the NAS-LXC and store everything there directly. It’s all on ZFS anyway.
Are there any disadvantages from this approach?
As I planned my setup I didn’t think about PBS so I wanted an easy method for file level backup and also the storage allocation is more flexible as I think you cannot downsize the LXC. I have different quotas for subvolumes at the moment, but I guess I could to that with Samba as well.

You’re right, I could just upsize the NAS-LXC and store everything there directly. It’s all on ZFS anyway.
Are there any disadvantages from this approach?
I use drive for root (default) and for datastore like SMB i add a second drive to LXC.

There are disadvantages with LXC, yes. That's why I no longer use LXC for large storage. PBS always has to go through the whole container space when backing up. With a full KVM, PBS does not have to do that, it is fast. Also, quotas in LXC for individual folder -> the feature probably will be removed. The implementation is very complex as i read.
For these reasons, I use a KVM or natively directly on ZFS for Samba/NFS datastores. I personally prefer the first method because it simply makes everything easier.

You have to decide for yourself what is right method for you.

So I’d run a KVM as base system and attach a second virtual hard drive for data.
Would that still enable incremental backups through PBS?
And If I use zfs as file system for that secondary hard drive to get easy quota, does that no degrade performance significantly?

So I’d run a KVM as base system and attach a second virtual hard drive for data.
Yes.

Would that still enable incremental backups through PBS?
Yes.

And If I use zfs as file system for that secondary hard drive to get easy quota,
You use for example ext4 on a virtual harddrive. Where this virtual disk is stored and what storage format is used doesn't matter. And yes, I also use a ZFS pool for this. Quota works according to the manufacturer of the Linux system you are using. Thus, the quota feature is independent of LXC features. Which is a big advantage.

does that no degrade performance significantly?
A little. If you're still working with older kernels like 5.0 or 4.10, 40Gbit can be challenging.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!