FreeNAS?

g-man

Jul 22, 2008
Given that it will be a while before any fancy web GUI for complex disk management is available, perhaps an interesting interim step might be a FreeNAS-based Appliance or something similar. Has a strong GUI, and a good track record of managing disk farms. Its FreeBSD-based, not sure how it would get along with the Etch, but thought I'd toss it out there.

Given that it will be a while before any fancy web GUI for complex disk management is available

Perhaps you should take a look at openfiler: http://www.openfiler.com/
Enterprise grade NAS/iSCSI with a nice GUI.
I don't understand the use of these as a VM though, wouldn't you want them installed on the bare metal device for faster disc access?

Perhaps you should take a look at openfiler: http://www.openfiler.com/
Enterprise grade NAS/iSCSI with a nice GUI.
I don't understand the use of these as a VM though, wouldn't you want them installed on the bare metal device for faster disc access?

I was thinking that the architecture of Proxmox might make this less critical, but I don't know. I really just want a more sophisticated web front end for exploiting disk management beyond what Proxmox is able to do just now, and thought perhaps this'd be a way to get there, short term. I know better stuff is the in roadmap, but roadmaps can take a long time to travel...

Openfiler looks cool, though, and has more features than FreeNAS, to be sure. Have you used it before?

I have used the previous version, 2.2, in testing. Found it to be stable and pretty easy to use. The Active Directory integration left a little to be desired of, I hope they have improved that in the new version, other than that I had no complaints. I am downloading it now to give it another go...

Given that it will be a while before any fancy web GUI for complex disk management is available, perhaps an interesting interim step might be a FreeNAS-based Appliance or something similar. Has a strong GUI, and a good track record of managing disk farms. Its FreeBSD-based, not sure how it would get along with the Etch, but thought I'd toss it out there.

we are using openfiler (maybe freenas) to convert standard server hardware to NAS/SAN storage, mainly in our test lab. see our roadmap.

as a virtual appliance, this makes no sense here. but you can already install a openfiler in a KVM VM to test functionality.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!