Found the problem but how do I fix?

Duke-FL

Dec 18, 2023
Hello,
I have what seems to be a strange problem after I did a clean (on metal) of Proxmox,
Now that I have my fresh install done; I can no longer access (from second pc) my Proxmox server (local) or any of my vm's.
I did have access one time to setup one vm and now I can't even ping Proxmox or the vm.
How can I turn off any firewall type items from the command line on my server?
My internet seems to drop out and reconnect from time to time but, I don't know thats related..
I have reinstalled Proxmox several times and I have not seen this problem.
This is one of the errors I get.

This site can’t be reached​

https://192.168.1.131:8006/ is unreachable.
ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE

Thanks,

How can I turn off any firewall type items from the command line on my server?
If you can log in to the server, check if there are any files in the /etc/pve/firewall directory.

The file that controls whether the firewall is enabled or not is cluster.fw in that directory. If it's not there, then the firewall shouldn't be running.

If the file is there, then it'll probably start with this:

[OPTIONS]

enable: 1

If the enable option is 1 like in the example above, then the firewall is on. If the enable option has 0 next to it though, then the firewall is disabled.

As it's just a simple text file, you can change it with an editor (nano or vi are common). The change should be automatically noticed and applied a few seconds after you save the file + exit your editor.

Bear in mind though that the connection problem might not be the firewall. ;)

I think that I found the problem but, I'm not sure how to fix it.
It seems that Proxmox changes the name of my ports from time to time which I think causes my problem.
I'm not sure why Proxmox does this but, how can I keep this from happening?
I would like to lock down my ports by 'mac address' or something the makes them stay the same day to day and week to week.
Any ideas?

Thanks,

I think that I found the problem but, I'm not sure how to fix it.
It seems that Proxmox changes the name of my ports from time to time which I think causes my problem.
I'm not sure why Proxmox does this but, how can I keep this from happening?
I would like to lock down my ports by 'mac address' or something the makes them stay the same day to day and week to week.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
You can give devices a name of your own, based on the mac-address. That way the name always will remain the same even if the default naming scheme or location changes. go to /etc/systemd/network/ and there create/edit a file per network-devices: nano <number>-<new-device-name>.link
In the file you put in:
Code:
[Match]
MACAddress=<mac-adress>

[Link]
Name=<new-device-name>
The finally you also change the names in /etc/network/interfaces and reboot the system (that way it applies both the new names and uses said names at the same time, but doing it one device at a time if you have multiple ports to access ProxMox is an option too of course

Do note, for proxmox to find the device right away, it does have to start with en* or eth*
So what I usually do is end0p0 for networkDevice 0 port 0, end2p4 for device 2 port 4, etc.
A full example:

Code:
cd /etc/systemd/network/
nano 01-end0p0.link

[Match]
MACAddress=ab:cd:ef:12:34:56

[Link]
Name=end0p0

Source (among others): https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration

Thank You for all the help so far but, it seems that I have an additional problem.
The LTE modem that I'm using plugs into a usb port not a rj45.
Its name an mac address seems to still change from time to time.
Any ideas how to find and keep the same 'name and mac address' for a LTE usb modem?

Thanks Again,

Interesting question. Haven't personally touched usb modems before, but I'd probably investigate in two ways to start with:

a) Try and find out what kernel module the usb modem is using, then run modinfo on that kernel model to see if it reports having options to do with the name or mac address

b) Do some general searching online for other Linux users with the same (or similar) usb modems. There might be related software and/or already developed instructions around for doing what you're after. :)

From your original post I see you have some type of NW in your environment, as you say:
I can no longer access (from second pc) my Proxmox server (local)
Is that NW connected to the internet (public). If it is then I'm not sure what you are doing / trying to achieve with that USB LTE Modem. If it isn't (unlikely but possible) then you must have some router/switch for that NW. Why not connect that USB LTE Modem directly to the router/switch?

To clarify: A USB LTE modem is supposed to give internet access to the connected device. It is in itself NOT a router/switch. To access your PVE instance (locally) you need to be on that same local NW. To see a list of the locally connected devices, go to you router/switch & find a list of the connected devices.

Last edited:
Reactions: justinclift

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!