[SOLVED] Format disk after installing PVE on it

Zoker

Oct 31, 2020
Hi there,

Today I move my proxmox installation from a SATA SSD to a NVMe SSD. Then I plugged the SATA SSD into a linux laptop via a SATA to USB adapter and tried to wipe the drive via gparted. But gparted told me, that there is a active LVM group and that wiping the drive is not recommand.

I already tried some commands, but I ran into issues.

This is shown, when I run lvdisplay:
Code:
root@linux:~# lvdisplay pve
  WARNING: Not using lvmetad because a repair command was run.
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                data
  VG Name                pve
  LV UUID                wbkkUw-5Aqa-THa3-Ww4D-8qhG-Peb1-3uh2mE
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Creation host, time proxmox, 2020-10-29 13:48:20 +0100
  LV Pool metadata       data_tmeta
  LV Pool data           data_tdata
  LV Status              NOT available
  LV Size                <141.43 GiB
  Current LE             36206
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     auto

--- Logical volume ---
  LV Path                /dev/pve/vm-100-disk-2
  LV Name                vm-100-disk-2
  VG Name                pve
  LV UUID                Kdx0Ta-hIzi-Kim3-80vX-ZtaF-82XI-6HnlDU
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Creation host, time pve, 2020-10-29 14:04:30 +0100
  LV Pool name           data
  LV Status              NOT available
  LV Size                32.00 GiB
  Current LE             8192
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     auto

And the lvs -a command
Code:
root@linux:~# lvs -a
  LV                         VG                            Attr       LSize    Pool Origin        Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
  data                       pve                           twi---tz-- <141.43g                                                          
  [data_tdata]               pve                           Twi------- <141.43g                                                          
  [data_tmeta]               pve                           ewi-------   <1.45g                                                          
  [lvol0_pmspare]            pve                           ewi-------   <1.45g                                                          
  snap_vm-102-disk-0_Default pve                           Vri---tz-k   60.00g data vm-102-disk-0                                      
  snap_vm-201-disk-0_Working pve                           Vri---tz-k    8.00g data vm-201-disk-0                                      
  snap_vm-202-disk-0_Working pve                           Vri---tz-k    8.00g data vm-202-disk-0                                      
  vm-100-disk-2              pve                           Vwi---tz--   32.00g data                                                    
  vm-101-disk-0              pve                           Vwi---tz--   32.00g data                                                    
  vm-102-disk-0              pve                           Vwi---tz--   60.00g data                                                    
  vm-200-disk-1              pve                           Vwi---tz--    8.00g data                                                    
  vm-201-disk-0              pve                           Vwi---tz--    8.00g data                                                    
  vm-202-disk-0              pve                           Vwi---tz--    8.00g data                                                    
  vm-203-disk-0              pve                           Vwi---tz--    8.00g data                                                    
  vm-204-disk-0              pve                           Vwi---tz--    8.00g data                                                    
  vm-205-disk-0              pve                           Vwi---tz--    8.00g data                                                    
  vm-206-disk-0              pve                           Vwi---tz--    8.00g data                                                    
  vm-207-disk-0              pve                           Vwi---tz--    8.00g data                                                    
  vm-208-disk-0              pve                           Vwi---tz--    8.00g data                                                    
  vm-209-disk-0              pve                           Vwi---tz--    8.00g data                                                    
  vm-210-disk-0              pve                           Vwi---tz--    8.00g data                                                    
  vm-211-disk-0              pve                           Vwi---tz--    8.00g data                                                    
  vm-212-disk-0              pve                           Vwi---tz--    8.00g data                                                    
  vm-300-disk-0              pve                           Vwi---tz--    8.00g data

When I try to remove one of the logical volumes, I get an error:
Code:
root@linux:~# lvremove /dev/pve/vm-100-disk-2
Do you really want to remove and DISCARD logical volume pve/vm-100-disk-2? [y/n]: y
  /usr/sbin/thin_check: execvp failed: No such file or directory
  Check of pool pve/data failed (status:2). Manual repair required!
  Failed to update pool pve/data.

When I try to repair it, this happens:
Code:
root@linux:~# lvconvert --repair pve/data
  WARNING: Disabling lvmetad cache for repair command.
  WARNING: Not using lvmetad because of repair.
  /usr/sbin/thin_repair: execvp failed: No such file or directory
  Repair of thin metadata volume of thin pool pve/data failed (status:2). Manual repair required!

I don't care about the data on the disk. How can I repair the disk?
I guess i broke the thin pool by trying to repair it :facepalm:

Thanks!

Last edited:
After a reboot of my linux machine, I was able to run lvremove on all logical volumes and finally was able to remove the volume group completely

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!