Florian Schaal's Install script and bridged networking

bebraver_Axel

Mar 20, 2020
UK
www.bebravernow.com
Hi there,

First of all thank you to @Florian Schaal for creating this awesome script and anybody who is contributing to it :)

I have a Hetzner box with two additional IPs and while the script found them and set them up on the bridge using the routed method, installing a KVM stops at the network set up currently.

While I can see bridged networking support is limited, judging by the issue tracker, I can't seem to get routed to work either.

What do you need to enter when you install, for example, Ubuntu 18 LTS (server) as a guest KVM? I tried to configure it manually using the details provided by Hetzner and the MAC address is set to the one generated by the Robot.

Please help - happy to pay to get this sorted as I have spent way too much time already and perhaps it can go someway to support continued development :)

With Hetzner, it's generally not a PVE problem, it is a network problem indeed. In my subnet-setup, I just give the desired IPv4 and IPv6 to my container and it just works :-D

I'm using the routed approach and all containers and VMs are on a different bridge with my additional subnet. The PVE box itself routes everything, so I loose on of my subnet IPs to this approach.

OK, just reinstalled to start fresh.. I have one main IP and two additionals. Florian's script kindly generated this /etc/network/interfaces file for me:

https://bin.privacytools.io/?276837e249160632#eHCQcKyGLvybMrWcpmQ6Uqm7pxDulKKbv+BNHS2RyGg=

xxx = my main IP
aaa = first additional IP
bbb = second additional IP

When I create a VM (Ubuntu 18 LTS) and enter the MAC address Hetzner's Robot generated, it will not assign an IP automatically. When I set the IP as per Robot info, I am not able to reach the outside and cannot complete my install (I am using net book iso - not the full phat one).

What am I doing wrong or need to do differently?

I think I figured it out now. Moved away from routed to bridged and noted that we are all doing this netplan thing now ;)

I set the guest VM to DHCP and removed the routes/amended the bridge. MAC addresses generated by the Robot and I got the lease with the right address.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!