[TUTORIAL] Fixing zpool import (multiple rpool) during installation

EricPerl

Sep 27, 2024
I arguably shot myself in the foot on this one, but I didn't see this particular issue covered so I thought I'd make a quick post about it.

I just bought this mini-PC with 2 M.2 slots and 4 NICs and I have gone through a bunch of installations to test various configurations.
The spec initially claimed mSATA was supported but this was either wrong or it never recognized a spare I had.
So I settled with 2 NVME Gen3x4 drives, one at x4, the other at x1 (via an adapter on the Wifi M.2).
Given quick perf measurements, I intended to use the x1 for proxmox and the x4 for VMs.
Adding a drive in the x4 slot after install triggers a rename of all the NICS (nvmeXn1 to nvmeX+1n1) which breaks network connectivity, so I started my final install with both drives in place.

That's when I made a mistake and didn't uncheck the x4 drive during the creation of the RAID0 zpool...
So, I ended up with a striped zpool across both drives, which seemed like a really bad idea given the x1 - x4 discrepancy.
I'm pretty sure the only way to fix that was to re-install, so I did, unchecking the x4 drive this time!

But that installation failed because I now had 2 rpools:
- one on the x1 drive selected during that most recent install
- one with the striped configuration over both drives

Here I was, presented with an (initramfs) prompt and cryptic (at least to me) instructions.
After a bit of research, I did the following:
zpool import (yielded 2 entries named/tagged rpool, where the second one showed a corrupted disk in the stripe array. Both entries have an ID).
zpool import XXX (where XXX is the ID of the pool on a single disk)
exit
And installation resumed. In the GUI, I promptly wiped the x4 drive and recreated a pool.
I thought I was done but a reboot ended up with another error (something about using a pool from a previous installation). The instructions were a bit clearer.
zpool import -f rpool
exit
I might have been able to avoid these steps by doing something different during disambiguation, but I didn't retry :).
The machine has been booting fine since.

HTH

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!