First time setup of proxmox, question about ZFS raid setup configuration.

xamox

Jul 8, 2024
So currently I have an ubuntu server that is setup as follows:
1 x 1TB primary drive (OS installed on)
2 x 4TB ZFS mirrored drives (using NFS share so other devices on my network can access this like a NAS)

I want to re-purpose this server to use proxmox instead.
My question is what would be the best way to set this up in proxmox?
I imagine I could setup a VM that runs ubuntu with ZFS the same way I have it now, but is that the recommended way or is there a better option?
I don't have to use ZFS, it's just what I'm familiar with and it allowed me to easily access the data on windows machines via SMB.
I also don't want promox installed on these drives, I want them purely as a data store for things like videos, pictures, etc. I understand that if I setup proxmox on them and raid them I could restore proxmox easily in the event of failure, but I'm okay with that, I'm more concerned with making sure I don't lose photos and documents that are important to me. I also know with using ZFS prior it's very easy for me to pop in a new drive and resilver it in the case of issues and I would like to keep in similiar to this.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Looks like a complicated problem as you don't want install pve on the two 4TB drives ?!?
You have just the one 1TB drive left (old ubunto on) ... so your options are nearly clear ... install pve onto this only 1 available drive.
After that you can import your old zfs mirror pool (created on ubuntu) on your fresh pve ... and done.

Looks like a complicated problem as you don't want install pve on the two 4TB drives ?!?
You have just the one 1TB drive left (old ubunto on) ... so your options are nearly clear ... install pve onto this only 1 available drive.
After that you can import your old zfs mirror pool (created on ubuntu) on your fresh pve ... and done.
Sounds good, thanks. I thought they may be the way to set it up but I wanted to confirm before going through the process.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!