First Connection try timeout.

mubariz

Nov 7, 2023
Hi everyone,

I have just installed Windows Server 2022 Standard as a VM on Proxmox 8.2.4.

After a Days I notice that, when i try connect to RDP I get RDP connection timeout (first try server offline) and when I reconnect, it works normally (Second Try it work with out any problem).
this happens every time when i logout my self for some hour/minutes.

I add some information about host and VMs.

I failed to solve the problem. it will be great if someone help me here.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-04 151650.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-04 151650.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2024-09-04 151628.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-04 151628.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2024-09-04 151538.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-04 151538.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 4
Hello!
Into your vm you have the processor hardware very strange! You have add 2 socket and 3 cores! But your hardware of the host have only 1 socket processor! You need change it as 1 socket and 6 cpu for to fix any futur issue strange with your vm!

About the rdp connection issue. Maybe you have issue with your network! Do you have also installed the guest-agent and virtio-guest-tools?

What is your ip config and also dns config?

Attachments

• GUEST-AGENT.png
    GUEST-AGENT.png
    206.6 KB · Views: 4
Hey @andaga !

Thanks for our replay.
yeah i already installed Guest-agent und Drives. also tried with the old ones. no success.
CPUS on VM ist virtual i dont think that maks the problem.

If the VM thinks it has certain hardware (2 sockets), while in fact it does not (only got 1 socket), the host (Proxmox) will have to more work to virtualize what is not there.
So while I also don't think it should cause the issue, it is still good practise and good to rule out at least.

Is this issue while on the same network, or on a different vlan / network (so going through a router)?
Can you ping the server and does it there lose the first (few) pings as well or not?
If you pinged, lost the first (few) ping (but now have constant pings) and then try to connect, does it then work right away or not?
Do you have a Windows 2016 or 2019 server, and does this one have the same issues or not?

hey @sw-omi ,

The ping goes smoothly, I do not see any problem.

The RDP is not the problem, I just installed a web server (IIS) to test the connection, it does the same after some time. and when I reload/enter again it works.

I think this is a problem with the new kernel of Proxmox (host).

I will check with Windows 2019.

perhabs i already installed the sameWin 22/ISO on another Proxmox (same version/kernel) but there I did not face any problem till 3 days.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!