Firmware of virtual disk Raw or VMDK

Alex82

Apr 8, 2012
Hello. I have software attached to the hard disk. I need help, how to change: serial number, model and firmware version. If raw files don't have it inside and it depends on hypervisor, which file do i need to change these parametres.
Because that is always: Model is ATA QEMU HARDDISK, s/n is QM00001, fw is 1.0.5.0, but i need to change it, how to do it?

I think you will need to remove the disk in the Proxmox web interface.
Not delete it, just remove it from the VM so it shows as an unused disk.

Then edit the VM.conf file and add the proper KVM arguments to add the disk to the vm.
to do this Proxmox allows you to pass KVM arguments using the -args option in the config file.

Something like this:
args: -drive file=/path/to/vm/disk/image,if=none,id=drive-virtio1,cache=none,aio=native,serial=xxxxxx -device virtio-blk-pci,drive=drive-virtio1,id=virtio1,bus=pci.0,addr=0xb

Not sure how to change the model or firmware, did not see that in the kvm man page.

Last edited:
Thanks e100, I'll try. Before software was installed on VM ESX and it has "ide_identify = 00000000000000000001", "firmware version = 00000001", "model = VMware Virtual IDE Hard Drive", if change one of these parameters or after migration on proxmox, software dosnt work. And I need to change firmware version and model also.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!