Firewall Settings in GUI Not Reflected in PVE Host CLI

Aug 11, 2024
Hello Proxmox Community,

I hope you can assist me with an issue I'm encountering with the firewall settings on VM105 in Proxmox VE 8.2.4.

Issue Description:

I have applied firewall rules for VM105 using the Proxmox web GUI, but these settings do not appear to be reflected when I check the Proxmox host's CLI. I'm new to Proxmox and trying my best to understand the system, but I'm having difficulty resolving this issue.

Steps Taken:

1. Applied Firewall Rules:
    • I configured the firewall rules for VM105 through the Proxmox web GUI.
  2. Verification Commands Used:
    • To check the firewall status on the Proxmox host:
    • pve-firewall status
      To view the current rules:
    • iptables -L -v -n
    • Note: The above commands are checking the Proxmox host's firewall, not VM105's firewall.
    • I tried this:
      cat /etc/pve/firewall/VM105.fw
      cat: /etc/pve/firewall/VM105.fw: No such file or directory
  3. I am confused, not sure if this is enough to work on but this is my best shot to work this out.

Thanks
Alex

Haven't used firewalls much, but one question/test: Did you enable the firewall option itself on the datacenter-settings (even if you don't have a clutster/datacenter)?
As long as the cluster-settings for the firewall is off (which is the default), whatever you configure on either cluster, host or VM will do nothing.
Before you enable it though, do be sure you've got rules set up on the host to allow access still, or that you have set the default incoming action on the host to allow

1723402701411.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!