firewall question & help

vesuvienne

Jun 7, 2024
hi team!
some question and observation about firewall:

* if i need to allow "any source" do i need to let the "source" blank in the firewall GUI

* do the Datacenter firewall work only if you are in a cluster?

* i have some strange behavior about the order of the rules with the firewall of VM (i don't know if it is normal)
- if i put some rule at the end (exemple ssh) i can't ssh into the vm
- if i change the order and put it at first it work
so i think order have a effect no? if someone can give me some advice
thx!

Last edited:
* if i need to allow "any source" do i need to let the "source" blank in the firewall GUI
Yes

* do the Datacenter firewall work only if you are in a cluster?
No, it should also work if you have a singular node, when you add additional nodes they also get the same rules applied

so i think order have a effect no? if someone can give me some advice
Yes, rules are evaluated in order (from top to bottom), the first matching rule 'wins'

Yes, rules are evaluated in order (from top to bottom), the first matching rule 'wins'
thx, so DROP should always be at the bottom?
No, it should also work if you have a singular node, when you add additional nodes they also get the same rules applied
so i have a single node, without cluster
i add this rules under datacenter -> firewall
1721637535372.png
but it locked me out, can not access my GUI or SSH into my node

* if i put this rules directly on my PVE node it work, any clue ?
thx

Last edited:
thx, so DROP should always be at the bottom?
You can set the default policy in the datacenter settings, so it is not necessary to explicitly add it as a rule at the bototm

but it locked me out, can not access mt GUI or SSH into my node
do you have any rules in the host firewall? host rules come before datacenter rules

You can set the default policy in the datacenter settings, so it is not necessary to explicitly add it as a rule at the bototm
If i remember, the default datacenter firewall policy DROP everything & ACCEPT by default SSH(22) and GUI(8006)
do you have any rules in the host firewall? host rules come before datacenter rules
oh!!! Thx i understand now, Yeah i put DROP on my PVE node
So i need to choose between using PVE firewall or Datacenter firewall

So i need to choose between using PVE firewall or Datacenter firewall
You can use both at the same time. Datacenter is for creating rules on EVERY node, host firewall is for creating or overriding rules on a specific node. Just don't add a blanket drop statement in any ruleset - you can do that via setting the default in/out policy.

Reactions: vesuvienne

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!