Feature request

dazza76

Renowned Member
May 25, 2010
Backup naming
I would like to have the ability to set the format of the backup

i.e currently it is "vzdump-100-2011_12_17-00-00-03.tgz"
i would like to be able to change it to "vzdump-100.tgz" as currently use rsync for duplication for some container backups

possibilities could be endless if you could disable the auto delete or delete after a set time or number of backups
i.e backup once a week and keep 3 backups

When i get a chance i will look at modifying the perl vzdump to accept a filename/format for the backup.

I will need help to look at the Java side as i currently do not know where to start

is there a link on how to build the gui

Cheers
D

i.e currently it is "vzdump-100-2011_12_17-00-00-03.tgz"
i would like to be able to change it to "vzdump-100.tgz" as currently use rsync for duplication for some container backups

We want to mange backups with the GUI, so I am not sure if we want to support arbitrary file names.

possibilities could be endless if you could disable the auto delete or delete after a set time or number of backups
i.e backup once a week and keep 3 backups

Please use the 'maxfiles' option.

I will need help to look at the Java side as i currently do not know where to start

We do not use java!

Apologies for saying java I made an assumption without looking which was clearly wrong!

I see that the manager is a mix of perl and Ext JS 4 JavaScript

Can i ask what you use to develop the gui or is it just a nano thing

My initial thoughts for the naming of the backup file names would be a Naming convention
i.e
backup task would be called by

$self->exec_backup_task ($task,$naming_convention); # example naming_convention 'vzdump-$t-$v-%Y_%m_%d-%H_%M_%S'
# naming convention would be setup in the gui blank or with the default

sub exec_backup_task {
my ($self, $task,$naming_convention) = @_;
my $basename;
unless ( $naming_convention)
{
my $lt = localtime();
my $bkname = "vzdump-$vmtype-$vmid";
$basename = sprintf "${bkname}-%04d_%02d_%02d-%02d_%02d_%02d",
$lt->year + 1900, $lt->mon + 1, $lt->mday,
$lt->hour, $lt->min, $lt->sec;
}
else
{
my %options = (
'$t' => $vmtype,
'$v' => $vmid,
);
my $re = qr/${ \(join'|', map quotemeta, keys %options)}/;
$naming_convention =~ s/($re)/$options{$1}/g;
$basename = (strftime($naming_convention,@lt));
}

Of course you could have the convention extracted in the exec_backup_task.
I will look into contributing once I understand how pve-manager works.

P.s do you have a contributers forum

Thanks

D

Can i ask what you use to develop the gui or is it just a nano thing

Yes, all you need is a text editor. GUI debugging is done with firefox and firebug plugin (or chrome).

My initial thoughts for the naming of the backup file names would be a Naming convention

How does that solve your problem (rsync)?

P.s do you have a contributers forum

We have a developers mailing list - see:

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Documentation

Yes, all you need is a text editor. GUI debugging is done with firefox and firebug plugin (or chrome).

OK thanks - is there a design or layout of how it works

How does that solve your problem (rsync)?

the naming convention allows me to customize the name as it suits me .
Rsync requires that the files have the same name
so i would use 'vzdump-$t-$v'

Thanks i have joined

Last edited:
I would like to see a change in vzdump naming too. I am currently renaming the files on my NFS storage so rsync to another NFS (for 2nd backup) doesn't send the whole file every time. For maxfiles feature, possibly naming such as vzdump-openvz-101-1 then vzdump-openvz-101-2 etc could work if Proxmox tests the modified date to delete oldest backup when maxfiles is reached. I understand it may not be that simple but it's just a suggestion.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!