Feature Request - VM/Container name in backup name

Gumby

Renowned Member
Dec 15, 2011
First off, I must say a big thanks for this new backup system. Having large amounts of data the old system was cumbersome and slow to backup for my needs. PBS fits the bill just great, the speed after initial backup creation is just awesome, and the backup sync to remote locations is a huge bonus. So, thank you.

I have multiple Proxmox servers in multiple physical locations and since I now have the ability to backup my servers to remote destinations I do so. The one thing that I wish was better was the naming convention for backups in both the proxmox ve gui as well as the proxmox backup server gui. As an example, each location has virtual machines with the VMID of 100. On the backup server all VMs with the VMID of 100 are grouped together and there is no way to tell which backup belongs to which server making restores harder. Also, if one checks "removed vanished" in a sync job task then a sync to remote pbs server having multiple servers backing up to it will then delete any backups other than its own. (I hope this makes sense to whoever reads it). The simple solution is to not have overlapping VMIDs however for those who have pre-existing servers out there it would be much easier to have the backup server separate the backups by server name, IP, or another uniquely identifying feature.

An alternate way of fixing this may be to not see VMs from other servers if multiple VE servers were using the same PBS server, or maybe a checkbox on the backup settings to allow/dis-allow the viewing from servers the backup did not originate on which can only be changed from the original server itself or via the PBS server.

Thanks for listening.

Terry

Reactions: Tmanok and RomanP
There is already a feature request to include VM names to backups in our Bugzilla. As can be seen by the duplicates and age of the request, this has already been discussed for a long time. I see your problem and in my opinion the request became more relevant again with the release of Proxmox Backup Server. Could you maybe add your use case in the feature request? Ideally making the different scope with PBS clear?

Note that there are some patches for comments for backups on the mailing list. It doesn't solve your overlaping ID concern, but maybe it could still be of help in some way.

Thanks Dominic. I have added my suggestion and reasoning to the bugzilla page. I know it isn't as simple as just adding a comment or renaming the file but it shouldn't be all that hard to implement if they really wanted to

Reactions: Dominic

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!