[TUTORIAL] FdiskBatch - Automatically Fdisk 1,000+ Disks at one time for ZFS pools

mikeinnyc

Jul 6, 2021
New York City
added more disks.pngInAction.png

fdiskbatch.png

I figured since I have been doing this insanity many times over I'd help others out that have to fdisk multiple disks in order to create ZFS pools.
Just list the disks you want to delete all partitions (Not the OS disks please) and paste in the code section - disks=(/dev/sdi /dev/sdj) where /sdi is one of your disks etc.
  1. Multipath must be disabled by either commenting out the wwids or just emptying the file and saving. Whatever works for you. Just make sure you back up everything before you wipe the wwids or comment out.
  2. #cd /etc/multipath/
  3. #nano wwids
  4. requires #apt-get install parted
  5. #lsblk (list the correct disks and not the os)
  6. To store this script, save it as /usr/local/bin/fdiskscript.sh or /opt/scripts/fdiskscript.sh just use nano
  7. #cd /usr/local/bin/
  8. #nano fdiskscript.sh
  9. To make it executable, run: #chmod +x /usr/local/bin/fdiskscript.sh
  10. #cd /usr/local/bin/
  11. #./fdiskscript.sh
  12. In the above image, I already tested this so no partitions are remaining in all the disks I listed
  13. Go create some zfs pools - your disks will show up ... hopefully :)
  14. Don't blame me for destroying your disks. I do it often and as much as possible. :p
  15. test a few disks but not the os disks
  16. Hope this helps someone

Code:
#!/bin/bash

# Display warning message
echo -e "\e[1;31mWarning: This script will delete all data on the following disks:\e[0m"
disks=(
/dev/sdi
/dev/sdj
/dev/sdk
/dev/sdl
/dev/sdm
/dev/sdr
/dev/sdn
/dev/sdp
/dev/sdo
/dev/sds
/dev/sdq
/dev/sdt
/dev/sdu
/dev/sdv
/dev/sdw
/dev/sdx
/dev/sdy
/dev/sdz
/dev/sdaa
/dev/sdab
/dev/sdac
/dev/sdad
/dev/sdae
/dev/sdaf
/dev/sdag
/dev/sdah
/dev/sdai
/dev/sdaj
/dev/sdak
/dev/sdal
/dev/sdam
/dev/sdan
/dev/sdao
/dev/sdap
/dev/sdaq
/dev/sdar
/dev/sdas
/dev/sdat
/dev/sdau
/dev/sdav
/dev/sdaw
/dev/sdax
/dev/sday
/dev/sdaz
/dev/sdba
/dev/sdbb
/dev/sdbc
/dev/sdbd
/dev/sdbe
/dev/sdbf
/dev/sdbg
/dev/sdbh
/dev/sdbi
/dev/sdbj
/dev/sdbk
/dev/sdbl
/dev/sdbm
/dev/sdbn
/dev/sdbo
/dev/sdbp
/dev/sdbq
/dev/sdbr
/dev/sdbs
/dev/sdbt
/dev/sdbu
/dev/sdbv
/dev/sdbw
/dev/sdbx
/dev/sdby
/dev/sdbz
/dev/sdca
/dev/sdcb
/dev/sdcc
/dev/sdcd
/dev/sdce
/dev/sdcf
/dev/sdcg
/dev/sdch
/dev/sdci
/dev/sdcj
/dev/sdck
/dev/sdcl
/dev/sdcm
/dev/sdcn
)
for (( i=0; i<${#disks[@]}; i+=4 ))
do
echo -e "\e[1;31m${disks[$i]}\t${disks[$i+1]}\t${disks[$i+2]}\t${disks[$i+3]}\e[0m"
done

# Prompt user to confirm
read -p "Do you wish to proceed? (y/n) " confirm
case ${confirm:0:1} in
    y|Y )
        # Delete partitions and write changes
        for i in "${disks[@]}"; do
            echo "Deleting partitions on $i ..."
            for (( j=1; j<=4; j++ )); do
                echo -e "d\n$j\n" | fdisk $i
            done
            echo -e "w\n" | fdisk "$i"
            echo "Writing changes to $i ..."
            partprobe "$i"
        done
        echo -e "\e[1;33mPlease check now and make sure you have no disks partitions left. You can do this by #lsblk. If you see any leftover partitions like partition 1, then delete your zpool.# zpool destroy -f tank. Then run this again!\e[0m"
        ;;
    * )
        echo "Aborting."
        exit 1
        ;;
esac

Last edited:
in this loop, j represents the partition number that is being deleted. Since most disks have a maximum of 4 partitions, the loop runs from j=1 to j=4 to delete all four partitions. I had 9 before and this was insane. you can change it or just rerun this if needed

in this loop, j represents the partition number that is being deleted. Since most disks have a maximum of 4 partitions, the loop runs from j=1 to j=4 to delete all four partitions. I had 9 before and this was insane. you can change it or just rerun this if needed
Yes ... better to create a new table (msdos or gpt) and therefore deleting EVERYTHING.

Reactions: mikeinnyc

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!