Failure to boot (out of memory) after first successful boot

aliis.jh

Jun 15, 2024
After a fresh Proxmox install completes, it fails to boot on subsequent restarts after the first restart (i.e. initial restart after installing works, all (most?) additional restarts fail to boot,) with the following error:
Loading Linux 6.8.4-2-pve
Loading initial ramdisk ...
error: out of memory.

Press any key to continue

(F8) BIOS Boot Selection shows two options:
- proxmox (Samsung NVMe)
- UEFI OS (Samsung NVMe)

When I select the UEFI OS option, Proxmox frequently boots with no issue. Sometimes it still fails and I get the same "error: out of memory."

I've tried all the 8.X installer ISOs. I've tried the three main media preparation tools for USB: ventoy, rufus, etcher.

All hardware has been replaced: CPU, memory (Memtested 48hrs+ old and new pairs,) NVMe, and the motherboard itself, all brand new with latest BIOS and firmware.

-- Hardware --
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z790-I Gaming WiFi (ITX) (latest BIOS with correct Intel power limits for i9 13th/14th gen)
CPU: i9-13900K and i9-14900K (stock, no overclock, forced to Intel safe L1/L2 power limits)
Memory: G.Skill 2x 32GB 6400 (F5-6400J3239G32GX2-TZ5RK, on Mobo's QVL/supported list)
Storage: 2x NVMe (4TB Samsung 990 Pro - latest firmware, 4TB Crucial)

FYIs:
- This is an ITX motherboard.
- I noticed over the multiple installs the dev paths for the two installed NVMe drives swap between `/dev/nvme0n1` and `/dev/nvme1n1`.
- This board uses some kind of adapter (not PCIe necessarily, manual says m.2_1 is still CPU direct connected and m.2_2 is PCH) for the NVMe drives with a heatsink shroud (screenshot attached)

For reference:
- This user is having exact same problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/Proxmox/comments/1dnxoxe/error_out_of_memory_after_swapping_motherboard/
- This was also discussed in the discord on #hardware if anyone wants to reference the troubleshooting

Attachments

• install.log
    868 KB · Views: 1
  • error-out-of-memory-after-swapping-motherboard-v0-1bk3hrkgdn8d1.png
    error-out-of-memory-after-swapping-motherboard-v0-1bk3hrkgdn8d1.png
    406.9 KB · Views: 5
  • error-out-of-memory-after-swapping-motherboard-v0-jj3dyeigdn8d1.png
    error-out-of-memory-after-swapping-motherboard-v0-jj3dyeigdn8d1.png
    655.8 KB · Views: 4

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!