Failed to boot Proxmox today.

lebinho

Oct 10, 2024
Hi i have on wyse5070 proxmox. Worked all well for more than 1 month and today I woke up with no homeassistant automations so went to my wyse to see what is happening.
I tried rebooting but all i get is
Press F1 key to retry boot. --- tried multipletimes
Press F2 key for setup utility.
Press F5 key to run onboard diagnostics.

Tired all 3 and also I've created a bootable usb and went to recovery mode but was not able to reboot proxmox. I have been working on my NAS yesterday (not yet finished) so only backups of proxmox and it's containers is on local disk (wonderful timing). Fortunately the most time i spent on setting up HomeAssistant but here i have backups so not a problem to recover once i have proxmox back and running.

I am new to proxmox and linux so try to follow what i get on the screen and try chat-gpt to help me with issues - this helped few times in the past.

Can someone help me with troubleshooting here ?

This is what I get when I try to do it myself:
-When I boot i get this screen - boot1.jpeg
-proxmox option returns:
-grub options where I have options to pick proxmox or proxmox recovery mode.
-when I go with normal I get - boot2.jpeg.
- running "fsck /dev/mapper/pve-root" returned - boot3

What next ?

Attachments

• boot1.jpeg
    boot1.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 11
  • boot2.jpeg
    boot2.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 11
  • boot3.jpeg
    boot3.jpeg
    368.5 KB · Views: 11
"- running "fsck /dev/mapper/pve-root" returned - boot3" smeel hardly bad....

Can you boot on liveCD OS, and check SMART attributes.
If nothing bad @ first view, run you fsck in this liveOS, and see what's appening

Will try. But I think I've tried that before. Other question - if i start the proxmox installation will it remove my old containers? Or is there a way to reinstall and have previously installed containers and vm ? or do something that I can get back to my proxmox backup files to recover what was backed up ?

Will try. But I think I've tried that before. Other question - if i start the proxmox installation will it remove my old containers? Or is there a way to reinstall and have previously installed containers and vm ? or do something that I can get back to my proxmox backup files to recover what was backed up ?
I've endrestood that 's you've tried. But, I don't wanna retry your operations.... I purpose to you to check if hardware Host had any kind of failure.

This is where I get to when I've booted from USB recovery mode..

Attachments

• fromrecovery usb.jpeg
    fromrecovery usb.jpeg
    389.9 KB · Views: 4

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!