"F" keys on the console

bellocarico

Sep 17, 2022
No, not a bad word in the title :)
I mean... I love the console in proxmox, the web page approach really well done. There's one specific issue though that I can't resolve.
I'm a big fan of mc and for some reason pretty much all the F keys work ok (F1/F2/...F9/F10 too!) apart from.... F5 that identifies a copy. F6 that is used to move, works but not F5...
1677766429113.png
I'm wondering why this is... I thought about an overlapping function with browser's F5 to refresh page but it doesn't seem to refresh/reload any ways.
Any idea on how to make the F5 working?

It depends on which piece of software handles your keyboard - and the resulting list may be longer than expected. The main part is your Desktop Environment. If "F5" has a special meaning there it may potentially get "fetched away" before it reaches Midnight Commander.

Oh, for me the PVE Webgui with an open terminal as you show, also with mc, works. It accepts F5 to copy files.

But I wrote this reply because there is a simple workaround I use at other places: press ESC release it and press the numerical 5 (or any other desired number).

ESC + <number> is equivalent to FN<number>.

Just a working workaround...

Reactions: bellocarico
same problem after upgrading Proxmox to 7.3-6, problem with F1-F12 keys appear... workaround proposed by UdoB not working.

Hi, which console are you referring to -- is this a node, VM or container console? Are you using the noVNC or xterm.js console? Could you please post the output of pveversion -v?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!