Extremely Long Windows VM Shutdown Time

ericz

Mar 21, 2024
I'm scratching my head about the extremely long shutdown time (~12 minutes) for my Windows 11 VMs. When I shutdown via the console GUI, the console goes black fairly quickly (~30 seconds) but then stays black for minutes. I don't see this problem with Ubuntu 22 VMs. If I look at the Windows VM's CPU usage I see it is fairly active (60 to 82% of 4 CPUs). Any suggestions on how to debug this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the suggestions. The shutdown timing is as follows.
* ~14 seconds: Windows Shutting Down screen.
* ~45 seconds: Pings continue to work
* Rest of the time black screen no pings.

Looking at Windows event viewer and filtering on event IDs 6005 and 6006 (I think those are the startup, shutdown events), I actually don't see these events for every reboot I do!?

For the event-viewer, I also meant for you to look at when it stops recording ANY logs in there, and when it does what the last couple of logs are.
Also, have you tried first (manually) shutting down as many services and processes as possible, especially the non-Microsoft ones?

Finally, one other thought, if you start the windows-VM in safe-mode (with networking) and then shutdown/reboot after that, what is the timing like then?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!