Experiences running Proxmox VE as a VirtualBox guest VM (to use OpenVZ)

tisjames

Jun 20, 2012
I had a search through the forum on this topic and while I found useful info I'd like to get some more recent experiences and hopefully some beyond the 'it installed' level. I'm running VirtualBox currently with a mix of Windows and Linux VMs. All is generally well with the exception of some resource issues (which could be resolved by efficient resource allocation). Having read about containers/os level virtualisation I'm keen to go down this route for the Linux VMs. I'm not ready to rebuild the server with Proxmox as the primary OS at the moment (I would need to plan migrating all the VMs and get a good alternative to VRDP for my desktop type VMs). So, I'm looking at making a large VirtualBox VM with Proxmox VE and setting up OpenVZ containers to replace the Linux VMs - I'm not looking for KVM at this time as I really don't fancy nested virtualisation (if even possible here). I have a test Proxmox VM running (i.e. minimum resources to run - no containers yet) which reboots cleanly so I know it will install. What I'm wondering is if anyone has run this kind of setup longer term? Any thoughts you have on this are appreciated :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!