Exclude VM clusterwide

Apr 29, 2021
Hi.
I need to set up jobs with different schedules, and I want a "catch all" job for all servers not included in other jobs.

I have one catch all job per server.

The problem is, I cannot exclude a VM on a host where it does not live.

Example:
VM 220 on PVE1
VM 230 on PVE2
VM 240 on PVE2

I need VM 240 to be backed up every sixth hour, and the rest of the servers at their PVE's generic job.

No problems setting it up (cath all jobs with exclusion), but it requires that VM 240 always lives on PVE2. If it's migrated to PVE1, it will also go into the PVE1 catch all job since I cannot exclude a VM in the GUI which does not exist on the PVE.

Is there a way I can exclude VM's on a server backup job, even it the VM does not live on the PVE?

I can sure edit the jobs in cli (jobs.cfg i presume), but can I still change the jobs i the GUI wihout losing the cli edit of the config file?

Hi,

I use Pools for that. You can create them in the Datacenter -> Permissions -> Pools. Create Pools for Production, Special (for this VM) ...
Then assign the VMs to the Pool, use the Pools in the backup job, you can use include and exclude like with VMs. The jobs can be limited to nodes like usual. You can create jobs including a Pool, even if no VM is on this specific node.

Reactions: markusbernhard
Thanks for your input. I'm using pools for customerdistinction already, so I can't really use them like that.
AFAIK, it would be the same as making a job with only one vm in, running on all nodes. The problem is the same, still cannot exclude the resource pool in the other jobs.
Of course I could make the other backup jobs relying on pools instead, but then we'd had to remember to add the resource pool to the main backup jobs.
As it is now, I'm running a job for each node (7 in total) which always includes new VM's (we're migrating from esx, so some days there are like 20 new VM's..)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!