Exclude/Include directories for proxmox-backup-client on PVE node

Fug1

Mar 27, 2019
I am using proxmox-backup-client to backup my PVE nodes to a PBS repository. I'd like to get to the point where I can recover a PVE node by installing the PVE software and then running a restore from the backup, which will hopefully recover any PVE configurations for my system.

Is there a recommended set of directories to include and/or exclude when running the proxmox-backup-client on a PVE node?

Right now I'm using "root.pxar:/ pve.pxar:/etc/pve", which seems to create an archive called 'root' that backs up everything under / and then a second archive called 'pve' that backups up everything under /etc/pve. The backup ends up being about 3.3GB in total.

Thank you.

Last edited:
You know, if this really works out, that would be wonderful. I too would like explicit directions on backing up the PVE host.
Right now, if I have to wipe a machine for some reason, it's a freakin nightmare to redeploy it with the same name to the same cluster.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!