ESXi configuration import wizard problem

cardax

Jul 22, 2024
Hello everyone,

I am configuring the wizard to import VMs from ESX to Proxmox.
After adding the storage, I receive the following error: "failed to spawn fuse mount, process exited with status 65280 (500)."
Looking at the journal -xe, I see the problem is the following:

Jul 25 15:50:31 proxmow01 esxi-folder-fuse[26476]: Error: error when getting file size: "S_TO_AL"/"S_TO_AL_LUN109_NETAPP_PA700_MIGR"/"RHEL92_POC_CONV/RHEL92_POC_CONV.vmx"
file not found
Jul 25 15:50:31 proxmow01 systemd[1]: pve-esxi-fuse-svctoas02v.local.scope: Deactivated successfully.

Last edited:
Please make sure that the path is right and present. You can connect to the ESXi host and check if the file is present at the specified location

Thanks for your response, Magnus. The issue has changed since yesterday. I did some debugging and found that the ESX user needed additional permissions. After making the changes and setting the timeout value to 0 as per the documentation on the individual ESX nodes, the script listvms.py correctly generates the JSON. However, when I try to go to the ESX storage screen, I receive a connection timeout.

from official documentation:
Code:
ESXi 7.0: Adapting the Config.HostAgent.vmacore.soap.maxSessionCount option, located on the web UI under Host -> Manage -> System -> Advanced Settings

1721991743579.png

Did you also set the Config.HostAgent.vmacore.soap.sessiontimeout option to 0 + did you restart the ESX management-agent (rebooting the server would work too, but the management-agent can be done while the server is running VM's) after doing so?
To do this, go to the console of the ESXi host, log in, troubleshooting, restart management agents, you will only lose connection to the management-software for a minute, but all VM's will remain running (maybe just pause HA/DRS in vcenter if you use that though).

The error was related to the use of vCenter. In the migration wizard, pointing directly to the ESXi node, everything works correctly.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!