[SOLVED] Error while creating VM

n3x_proxmox

Jul 22, 2021
Hi,

Recently I have just setup my first Proxmox hypervisor on a Intel NUC.

Had setup a secondary 1TB SSD with two partition of 500GB each.

Initially I managed to create a few VMs and delete them off just for testing, but suddenly now I encountered an error whenever I try to create a VM.

Error: (See attached screenshot)
Code:
WARNING: ext4 signature detected on /dev/SATA1/vm-100-disk-0 at offset 1080. Wipe it? [y/n]: [n]
  Aborted wiping of ext4.
  1 existing signature left on the device.
  Failed to wipe signatures on logical volume SATA1/vm-100-disk-0.
TASK ERROR: unable to create VM 100 - lvcreate 'SATA1/vm-100-disk-0' error:   Aborting. Failed to wipe start of new LV.

Hopefully someone here can share some experience on how to resolve and overcome this issue.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-22 at 12.50.06.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-22 at 12.50.06.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
hi,

it looks like you have orphan disks from the old VMs, maybe they weren't removed properly. how did you delete the VMs?

and which kind of storage is this? lvm or lvmthin?
for lvm you can set saferemove option to zero out the disks when deleted [0]

otherwise just deleting the orphan disks should get things working again -- you can test also making a new VM with a different ID (pick something you haven't used before) and that should also work

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvesm.html#storage_lvm

Reactions: n3x_proxmox
hi,

it looks like you have orphan disks from the old VMs, maybe they weren't removed properly. how did you delete the VMs?

and which kind of storage is this? lvm or lvmthin?
for lvm you can set saferemove option to zero out the disks when deleted [0]

otherwise just deleting the orphan disks should get things working again -- you can test also making a new VM with a different ID (pick something you haven't used before) and that should also work

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvesm.html#storage_lvm
Hi, thanks for replying.

I delete the VMs via the GUI, shutdown first then More > Remove

it's LVM storage.

usually it works to delete the lvm via cli by checking via
  • lvs
  • pvs
  • vgs
and the commands to remove them:
  • lvremove
  • pvremove
  • vgremove
no reboot needed. also sgdisk -Z /dev/sdX after removing the lvm is good way to get a "clean" disk.

I joined the forums for this exact issue. Adding the repo, updating and rebooting fixed it for me too.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!