Error in VM does not start

Juan Ortiz

Nov 9, 2016
Hello,

I have used proxmox for over 8 years and this is the first time I have not been able to solve a case. I have a Debian virtual machine with postgreSQL, and I was restoring a database when the virtual machine stopped working.

When I check the first thing I see is what is shown in the images I attached. I have applied a series of steps to try to remedy it, but I have not been successful.

Then I proceeded to delete the damaged virtual machine and I have restored it from a backup copy from a few months ago, however when starting it the same behavior is displayed, that is, the same errors as if it were the same damaged machine and that is not possible.

I thought the problem was proxmox and decided to do a new clean installation, but after loading the backups all my machines work, however this one still has the same problem, any idea how to solve it.

Proxmox Version 8.2.4

Thanks,

Attachments

• Error en 1.17.png
    Error en 1.17.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 11
  • VM 17.png
    VM 17.png
    52.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Error.png
    Error.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Config VM.png
    Config VM.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 9
Can you boot into recovery?

Did you try this boot parameter?
nomodeset=true

My guess ... you had a disk issue. You were running in memory, with the disk RO, corrupted and locked. Linux servers will do that.
You shut it down, and then it didn't boot because the disk is bad.
Maybe examine those disks. Attach em to another VM and scan em.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply,

In recovery mode the machine starts, however so far I have not been able to get it to boot in normal mode.

What I did over the weekend was add a new disk to the machine and install Linux Debian without problems, then I added the disk that has errors and I can see all the content.

I performed the fsck commands to try to repair it, but when I start it the problem persists. Something I noticed strange is that when I restored the machine I got a warning:

WARNING: You have not turned on protection against thin pools running out of space.
WARNING: Set activation/thin_pool_autoextend_threshold below 100 to trigger automatic extension of thin pools before they get full.
Logical volume "vm-100-disk-0" created.
WARNING: Sum of all thin volume sizes (<982.01 GiB) exceeds the size of thin pool pve/data (no free space in volume group).
new volume ID is 'local-lvm:vm-100-disk-0'

However, I tried to restore the machine with another correct backup from two and a half months ago, the same message and the same error, that is, it does not start either.

Sounds like you are doing the things I would do.
The following is witchcraft shotgun troubleshooting ... but you're at that spot...

I'm guessing you have a bad virtual disk, but you could try troubleshooting boot video.
In recovery mode, edit the boot parameters. Try these.
nomodset verbose

If there were some crazy CPU incompatibility, these might affect it.
Make sure the CPU is set as "host" instead of whatever wack thing Proxmox defaulted to.
Toggle NUMA on and off.
Look at the 'machine type' setting and make sure its something that proxmox understands.

I was unable to get the machine to boot properly, so I disconnected the disk and added it to another machine, where I had access to the data and was able to obtain at least the information.

However, this error worries me because this time it happened with a machine that was not so critical, I can't imagine if it were the production machine...:(

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!