Error Connection error 500: proxy loop detected - After changing /etc/hostname

gouthamravee

May 16, 2019
Originally the hostname file had one entry 'pve', but I wanted to change the hostname and domain to pmx.sampledomain.com
I made the change but soon after the web interface showed all my VMs as unknown and click on any of them shows the error in the title.

I changed the hostname back to 'pve' but that hasn't seemed to fix the issue.

I made the same change on all the VMs too, they are all running debian so the same change but different hostnames.
For instance VM1 had the entry vm1 in the hostname file, I changed it to vm1.sampledomain.com

Not sure if changing the hostnames file on the VMs is causing the error too.
All VMs are still accessible over SSH and they are functioning fine.

The VMs are manageable through the proxmox CLI too, the only thing that's not working is the web interface.

Last edited:
Solved by a reboot of the node. Couldn't reboot when I posted this, but I was able to at the end of the day.

Also changing the OS's domain involved editing the file /etc/hosts. I had to remove the existing line with 127.0.0.1 pve.sampledomain.com

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!