[SOLVED] Error 501 for proxmox subdomain via cloudflared tunnel

miracuru

Jan 7, 2024
Hi

I recently geht the error 501 when I try to get to a console of a LXC on the proxmox webfrontend.
My conection runs through a cloudflared tunnel. The error is new to me, and it worked previously.

So I'm not sure, what the cause could be.

I receive the error: https://proxmox.domainname.ch/api2/json/nodes/proxmox/lxc/101/termproxy 501 (Not Implemented) in my broser dev console.
I have also checked, the csrfpreventiontoken is present.

I know, I have setup a transformation rule in cloudflare, but this is only for another subdomain. Therefore, I think, the error can't be this.The error is appearing, when I click on console. In Datacenter the default console is setup. I can click on the LXC and select the noVNC console type. Then it works in a separate window. Therefore I thought, I can change the standard console in the datacenter to noVNC too. But this didn't work, although I have restarted the pve proxy. So I'm out of ideas, what I can check further.

If someone has an idea, that would be much appreciated.

My Cloudflared config looks like this:
INI:
- service: https://192.168.1.2:8006
    hostname: proxmox.domain.ch
    originRequest:
       noTLSVerify: true
       originServerName: proxmox.domain.ch

I was now able to solve the problem. The entry disableChunkedEncoding: true was needed. After chaning the cloudflared config and restarting it, the problem was gone. Here the corersponding block in my config:

YAML:
- hostname: proxmox.domain.ch
    service: https://192.168.1.2:8006
    originRequest:
      connectTimeout: 30s
      websocket: true
      disableChunkedEncoding: true

I just wonder, why I faced this issue just now. I had this tunnel already running for a long time.
The only thing what I have changed is, that the tunnel configuration is now maintained directly on my cloudflared LXC, and not on the cloudflare website itself.

But however. Main thing, is that it is running again.
I set this thread therefore as solved.

Maybe the info helps someone else, who stumbles at this issue.

I was now able to solve the problem. The entry disableChunkedEncoding: true was needed. After chaning the cloudflared config and restarting it, the problem was gone. Here the corersponding block in my config:

YAML:
    originRequest:

I just wonder, why I faced this issue just now. I had this tunnel already running for a long time.
The only thing what I have changed is, that the tunnel configuration is now maintained directly on my cloudflared LXC, and not on the cloudflare website itself.

Thank you ! You are a life saver I spent way too much time trying to figure this out myself :)

YAML:
    originRequest:

Just landed here and your tip resolved the issue. I have my cloudflare tunnel managed through their portal landing in a PVE CT in my cluster. So it seems that this issue wasn0t originated in your change of settings, but in something related with PVE updates ou Cloudflare changes on their side.

Thanks for the tip and for finding the solution to us

Hey cool posting the solution helped already for you. I'm really glad that I was able to help in a forum instead of just asking all the time.

p.s. I mange the tunnels also on a LXC container. The only thing I have changed was, that I do the configuration on the cloudflared CT directly in the config file, instead of just start the tunnel and manage everything on the cloudflare site.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!