[SOLVED] EOL of Proxmox versions (more specific)

MarvAmBass

Mar 20, 2018
Hi there,

I now I'm not the first one with this question and I already googled and found a several answers.

We operate a few Proxmox Clusters (4.x) with a subscription. For compliance reasons we are forced to only use versions which are still supported.

When I look at the table at the Proxmox FAQ about how long the version will be supported it states that that the EOL of proxmox is 2018-06.

But it also says: `Proxmox VE versions are supported at least as long as the corresponding Debian Version is oldstable.`

If we take a look at how long debian jessie will be in oldstable support (will still receive security updates) we will see:
Debian 8 “Jessie” - i386, amd64, armel and armhf (?) - from June 2018 to end of April 2020
more info: debian wiki: LTS, debian wiki: DebianOldStable

Does this mean that Proxmox Security updates will also be backported to 4.x until 2020 - or won't there be any updates for proxmox after 2018.

Why is this important? If we'd still receive security updates for 4.x we have more time for the major update to 5.x.

Hope someone can help me.

Thanks,

Marvin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!