Encrypted backups restore question (Yes, I have the key)

shadowsix

Mar 23, 2024
USA
Hello All,

I am a bit newer to PBS and PVE so I am looking for a process to restore from my existing backups here's what happened:

My PBS was on a PVE host that is not working right now (Separate issue) and I need to restore a CT with important data on it.
I created a new PBS and got my ZFS datastore back into PBS already and added back to the host I can see the backups fine
When I go to restore I get this error:
recovering backed-up configuration from 'usb-backups:backup/ct/105/2024-09-15T02:00:39Z'
Error: missing key - manifest was created with key 43:61:d7:e1:53:f5:4c:b2
TASK ERROR: unable to restore CT 116 - command '/usr/bin/proxmox-backup-client restore '--crypt-mode=none' ct/105/2024-09-15T02:00:39Z pct.conf - --repository root@pam@10.10.10.209:usb-backups' failed: exit code 255

With my key in hand, where do I go / do to get it inserted to the restore or decrypt the backups to get passed this error.
I seen other post here but they didnt have the key whereas I do any help/feedback greatly appreciated

I did find under storage I can edit Proxmox Backup Server "usb-backups" datastore then go to the "Encryption tab"
1726966359835.png
It was set to "Do not encrypt backups" since I recently rebuilt new PBS and imported the old ZFS USB drive that had the existing backups
Now the key I have is not in a "file" format to upload its saved as just a text note in my vault.
From there what file extension do I need to save as when I paste the key into a text editor is my other question?

I may have this solved its resolved the CT I need restored is restoring now
What I did per my last response I found this https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/solved-share-encryption-key-between-two-pbs.86893/
It mentioned .enc file so I made this file with notepad "pbskey.enc" and pasted my text of the key into the file it uploaded successfully
I no longer have the "Error: missing key - manifest was created with key"

I figured I'd leave this up for anyone who runs into a similar situation and has been working on infrastructure stuff all day not paying attention to it was that easy! :D

Reactions: carles89 and mrgcms

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!