Encrypt Virtual Machine disk

Well, I'd argue that using ZFS features it the "native Proxmox way" ;) But either way ...

There are a couple options:
  1. Full disk encryption using LUKS. There are ways to do it, but that's probably a little overkill for regular use cases.
  2. Guest-side encryption - for example, setting up LUKS inside your virtual host directly. This means you must ensure that secrets are never leaked in any way.
    • Secrets (like passphrases and keys) are stored in RAM once they have been used, which means you should never do or allow anything that could write the VM's RAM to disk. (E.g. suspend to disk ("hibernate"), turning on swap!). This would make it theoretically possible to read your passphrase or key from a swapfile or similar. Also, no snapshots with "include RAM".
  3. Using ZFS and making an encrypted dataset. There's even a decent post about it, which should still be relevant today. We also have a little bit of documentation regarding this.
Because 1. can't really be added retroactively and 2. has a lot of drawbacks (IMO) I'd personally go for 3.

I hope these couple of pointers help!

Reactions: Kingneutron
I really wish there was a GUI option for encrypting the VM/LXC disk; Virtualbox can do this and you have to enter a password when starting/resuming the VM

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!