[TUTORIAL] Enabling Avast Core Security - need syntax

proitsupport

Apr 24, 2014
From the PMG Administration Guide
Those settings are saved to subsection admin in /etc/pmg/pmg.conf,
using the following configuration keys:
avast: (default = 0) Use Avast Virus Scanner (/bin/scan). You need to buy and install Avast Core Security before you can enable this feature​

I have installed a 30-day trial of Avast Core Security by following these instructions:

Debian/Ubuntu

1. Add the Avast repository to the system repositories
# echo "deb http://deb.avast.com/lin/repo debian release" \ >>
/etc/apt/sources.list
# apt key add /path/to/avast.gpg
# apt-get update

2. Install the Avast package and optionally the avast-fss and avast-proxy packages.
# apt-get install avast
# apt-get install avast-fss
# apt-get install avast-proxy

Activation

Copy the attached license file named license.avastlic. into the "/etc/avast" directory to activate the product.

# cp /path/to/license.avastlic /etc/avast​

How do I tell PMG I want to use the Avast Scanner in addition to ClamAV?

Here is my current pmg.conf file:

root@mail2:/etc/pmg# cat ./pmg.conf
section: admin
email ****@******.***

section: mail
dnsbl_sites b.barracudacentral.org,zen.spamhaus.org
int_port 26
maxsize 51485760
tls 1
tlsheader 1
tlslog 1

section: spam
clamav_heuristic_score 5

section: spamquar
lifetime 14

section: virusquar
lifetime 14

you have to add 'avast: 1' to the admin section

Or simply:

# pmgsh set /config/admin --avast 1

I used this command then it added "avast 1" to admin section. Is it the same as "avast: 1"?
And how to know avast is working with PMG because I can see only ClamAV found a virus in the log.

Last edited:
Reactions: chebedewel
Hi,

Can someone update a feedback of this? How was your experience in adding avast with proxmox antispam gateway?

Great, ClamAV detection is worst ever, ClamAV with additional signatures contain many false positives, Avast still miss some viruses, but it's the much better option. However, there are also rare (affordable and daemonizable) alternatives out there. I wasn't able to test Dr.Web yet, seems to be the only valuable alternative.

Reactions: DerDanilo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!