enable serial port connection to windows 11 vm

aprado

Aug 16, 2024
how can i enable and successfully test serial port passthrough to a windows 11 vm on pve? I've tried to do this without any success.-pve1 - Proxmox Virtual Environment and 1 more page - Work - Microsoft​ Edge.png

serial port passthrough
You want to pass through a physical serial port to the Windows VM?

That cannot be done through the web UI, but via the CLI:
Code:
qm set {vmid} --serialX /dev/ttyUSB0
This is just one example. Check which of the /dev/tty devices you want to pass through.

Greetings,

Thank you very much for your response. I ran the command qm set 102 --serial0 /dev/ttyUSB0 but now when I try to start the vm it wont start because of the error "Error: no such serial device".

-pve1 - Proxmox Virtual Environment and 3 more pages - Work - Microsoft​ Edge.png

You need to adjust the path to the actual serial device you have in your host :)

Reactions: Kingneutron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!