Email That Never Arrives

Oct 7, 2022
Hi,

I am facing problems where some emails just never arrive. Yet when it is sent to a gmail address, it is well received.

Almost all the troubling senders are some big corporation such as bank, airlines. So it is very troublesome or sometimes impossible to ask for their mail log in order to check from their end.

So, how do I troubleshoot it? There is no entry at all in the Tracking Center and neither in my inbox too.

Henry

Check the syslog/mail.log on PMG carefully - if there is no connection attempt to gmail then the mail simply does not pass through your pmg or it is not configured to send it there

also - you cannot check mail @gmail.com through PMG (in a straight-forward way) - since the MX records for gmail.com are not pointing to your PMG...

Hi Ivanov,

sorry if I sound confusing. What I meant is the airline/bank companies tried sending emails to my custom domain address (henry@example.com) but Proxmox Tracking Center does not show receiving any emails from them at all. It seems like proxmox mail gateway never receive such emails in the first place.

However when I call my bank/airline company to change to a gmail address, I can receive the emails alright.

So how do I troubleshoot this issue?
The frustrating thing is, all their promotion emails I can receive all right, but not emails containing e-statements. Thus I can only test things out once a month. *frustrating*

Henry
Check the syslog/mail.log on PMG carefully - if there is no connection attempt to gmail then the mail simply does not pass through your pmg or it is not configured to send it there

also - you cannot check mail @gmail.com through PMG (in a straight-forward way) - since the MX records for gmail.com are not pointing to your PMG...

sorry if I sound confusing. What I meant is the airline/bank companies tried sending emails to my custom domain address (henry@example.com) but Proxmox Tracking Center does not show receiving any emails from them at all. It seems like proxmox mail gateway never receive such emails in the first place.

However when I call my bank/airline company to change to a gmail address, I can receive the emails alright.
I'd suggest to carefully read through the mail-log (/var/log/mail.log and /var/log/syslog (and rotated variations)) - keep in mind that the tracking center uses and shows only the envelop-addresses:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounce_address

This might look quite different (and not even be from a domain you associate with your airline/bank)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!