email notification on TASK ERROR - host backup

dav.ge

Feb 26, 2019
Hi all,
i have a pbs server that backup 30 proxmox vm and 20 phisical host (linux workstations, for each there is a local script that run on cron).
No problem with notification from vm backup jobs (sent by proxmox ve hosts) and notifications for verification, sync, prune and garbage jobs (sent by PBS).
I need a solution to send email from proxmox backup server on host backup task error.
How can i do that?
Send emails from hosts is not possible in my enviroment.

Reactions: scadaguru
i don't quite understand what you need? which email notifications do not work ?

Hi, all the standards features works, but i need an email notification on task error, when fails to complete backup from physical host.

how do you backup? if you run the backup client by yourself, you also can setup a mail notification by yourself, e.g. with 'sendmail'

I wish there is a way to send email notification from PBS when a host backup job finishes, this way I don't have to install and configure email client on each remote machine.
May be the "proxmox-backup-client" command can have an option that will be passed PBS and once PBS has finished the job can act on that option to send out email notification? I know this is new feature request!
Thanks

Hi,
I wish there is a way to send email notification from PBS when a host backup job finishes, this way I don't have to install and configure email client on each remote machine.
May be the "proxmox-backup-client" command can have an option that will be passed PBS and once PBS has finished the job can act on that option to send out email notification? I know this is new feature request!
Thanks
I think it would be much cleaner if the notification setting for backup tasks could be configured in PBS directly, like is currently possible for jobs. I'm not sure @dav.ge already opened a feature request, please check for duplicates and feel free to open one: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/

Would anyone know how to configure a notification for backup errors for hosts by the client?

The only filter I found that sends this type of notification is Match severity: unknown, but it is sending success and error notifications.

pbs.png

Last edited:
Hi,
Alguém saberia como configurar uma notificação para erros de backup em hosts pelo cliente?

O único filtro que encontrei que envia esse tipo de notificação é Match severity: unknown, porém está enviando notificações de sucesso e de erro.

View attachment 71257
this forum is English only, most people will not be able to understand you when you use a different language.

If this is about notifications for type host backups, see my previous response: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/email-notification-on-task-error-host-backup.120920/post-553763

Would anyone know how to configure a notification for backup errors for hosts by the client?
What exactly do you mean by client? The proxmox-backup-client binary? Or a Proxmox VE backup job? If it's the former, see @dcsapak's response: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/email-notification-on-task-error-host-backup.120920/post-526166
The only filter I found that sends this type of notification is Match severity: unknown, but it is sending success and error notifications.

View attachment 71257
Why not configure the severity to be error instead? Is this matcher on PBS or on Proxmox VE?

I'm using proxmox-backup-client binary.

When I set sevdrity to error, no notification is sent even when error occurs.

I'm using proxmox-backup-client binary.
You can write a small wrapper script that sends the notification in the error case manually using sendmail like @dcsapak suggested.
When I set sevdrity to error, no notification is sent even when error occurs.
Hmm, I'm surprised you get notifications otherwise. AFIAK, there are currently no notifications for individual backup tasks on the PBS side. That would need to be implemented first, which is why I suggested opening a feature request.

I'm going to research wrapper scripts.

These are the notifications I receive, through the configuration in Notification Matchers>Match severity:unknown

pbs02.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!