Educational Content

BrianKirsch

Aug 8, 2024
Good Afternoon,

With VMware dumping the virtual academy many colleges are now in need of a virtualization platform to teach. I am hoping someone from Proxmox sees this and reaches out to me because it would be a great change to get in front of new IT students and really expose them to your product.

Since our products are freely available, licensed under the AGPLv3, there are no barriers to access them and build a course.

If you have more ideas or requests, feel free to contact us at office@proxmox.com.
The forum isn't necessarily the best place :)

Reactions: keeka and fireon
Good Morning,

I did send a email to that address and have not gotten a response which is why I posted here. I would love to talk to someone about this, it's a great chance for Proxmox to replace VMware in higher education at thousands of schools world wide if they move on it quickly.

Brian

Ah okay. As you can imagine, since December there is quite a bit going on, and it might take a bit until your email will be processed.

I understand but please keep in mind with VMware just closing the academy this week it is time sensative. So here is a few thoughts for your teams.

Announce a Proxmox College Academy Subscription - Free for the first year for former VMware Academies ($200-$250) a year after that. It's a dig at VMware but worth it. What this gives you is the official courseware from Proxmox to be used in a college setting (the fee is to keep the materials up to date).

You will have to provide a teachers only discussion board (via account verification) where teachers can download the two main class materials
Allow faculty to upload content as well to share LMS content. I volunteer to create learning management system (LMS) quizzes faculty can use for their classes in conjunction with your slide materials for free to get you started.

Labs can be done in the classroom on hardware or virtual box (since the software is free) but the recommended solution is NDG (Netlab) as another college has already made labs with documentation for any current Netlab customer. Labs outside of Netlab would not have documentation to start, I am sure another college would be willing to write those.

So your real costs, open the official materials to educators, create a secure discussion board section, collect $200 after you pass go, any marketing materials you would want. Not a bad ask for getting in on the ground floor of colleges that gives you great exposure to new admins.

Just a random deployment plan...

So the good folks at Proxmox are interested but don't have the resources / time. I get it, higher education is often not on the radar for most places. I really don't think it would have taken a lot of effort to get this off of the ground but it is what it is. I ended up finding a solution from Ascend that has a course I can use that covers VMware, Citrix and Hyper-V. It will work for the colleges so I shared it with our college community. The bummer is once we adopt this most colleges will not change to something else, I mentioned this was time sensitive. Bummer that it didn't work out...

Reactions: esi_y
I really don't think it would have taken a lot of effort to get this off of the ground but it is what it is.
Why don't you do it yourself then ;)

I ended up finding a solution from Ascend that has a course I can use that covers VMware, Citrix and Hyper-V.
That just means that VMware/Broadcom, Citrix and Microsoft are ALSO NOT interested in "higher education", or you would have courses from them. I would complain to Ascend why they do not offer a Proxmox VE course.

Reactions: fireon
I offered to create tests based on their slides and course outcome summaries for free, it was a no go. It's always better to get it directly from a vendor, but again most don't care about higher education except Cisco. And 2 year technical colleges teach 150-200 hours of it to new IT people, any wonder why they have such a following?

I offered to create tests based on their slides and course outcome summaries for free, it was a no go.

I think you did your best. It's a shame because when you think of it, platform like PVE would be best suited for teaching even the underlying concepts, not just drone-like single-solution specific follow-instructions. It used to be, that some of the students would end up contributing code to such projects.

It's always better to get it directly from a vendor, but again most don't care about higher education except Cisco. And 2 year technical colleges teach 150-200 hours of it to new IT people, any wonder why they have such a following?

They do not have any issue with promotion, or resources, though. The "most" do not care also for their customers now, let alone students.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!