EC pool creation, Help Needed

Saxophone

Sep 3, 2024
I have 4 hosts with 12 drives each

I used the command: pveceph pool create testpool2 --erasure-coding k=4,m=2

The results are not as I expeted
It creates a testpool2-metadata 3/2 32pg's, 32 optimal pg's, autoscale mode warn. This seems fine.

It creates a testpool2-data 6/5 128pg's, 32 optimal pg's, autoscale mode warn
I believe this means I got my k=4,m=2 but will stop early so I change to 6/4

I get the errors
Reduced data availability: 128 pgs inactive
Degraded data redundancy: 128 pgs undersized
1 pools have too many placement groups

I don't know if this is ok or not
I've tried to change the number of pg's to 32,it completes but doesn't change the value

What I am trying to do is create an Erasure Coded Pool k=4,m=2
I want the pool to stay operational if 2 osd's are lost
I want the failure domain to be host
I want no more than 2 pieces being on any one host (I think this is automatic)

I need the correct syntax for making the pool
and if I need to make a pool and then make changes in a file I need the location and file name to edit and the correct syntax for that file.

Am I missing anything ?

The way I think ceph works is that when saving a file it will be broken into 4 data chunks and 2 parity chunks will be calculated. Then 2 chunks will be placed on a host, another 2 chunks will be placed on another host and 1 chunk will be placed on each of the remaining 2 hosts. If I loose a drive with a chunk on it ceph will start to replicate that data on the same or different host. I can flag a drive or host prior to doing maintenance that will temporally pause replication.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!