Easy way to see unallocated resources on a server?

eleanor

Oct 10, 2023
I would like to look at the summary page and know how many resources are undeployed and deployed. For example, when I make a new machine, how many unallocated cores are there? The only way to do it now seems to be to go to each machine, see how many cores are assigned to it, add them up, and then subtract that from the total available on the node. It would be nice to see this at a glance to help understand the overall utilization of a machine and decide how to migrate VMs among the cluster to optimize that.

When it comes to virtualization, the principle of overbooking is usually used. Therefore, it is usually not relevant to know exactly what you have assigned. You can also assign 100 cores to your VMs even though you only have 8. This works without any problems until everyone wants to achieve 100% performance. You pay more attention to the overall utilization of the node and simply push in the next one, e.g. reached 80% on average. Proxmox is a hypervisor for the enterprise environment, not for the home network (although it can also be used there). Personally, I wouldn't need something like that for my cluster because I use the total utilization as an Indikator.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!