Easiest method to migrate a ubuntu 20.04 server running in the cloud to a proxmox vm

mmiscool

May 16, 2023
Hello,
I have an existing server running on digitalocean that I would like to clone and run on a local proxmox machine.
Digitalocean dose not provide any easy method to export a disk image.
I have the latest version of proxmox installed. Is there an easy way to migrate the existing server to a new proxmox VM over ssh?

You've posed an interesting question there. Now, I have found an article that you will find quite educational in getting from A to B:
https://nikvdp.com/post/cloning-a-linux-install/

Now, it doesn't tell you how exactly to do it, but it provides a lot of very useful information. The kind of information that will allow you to make and test different methods. I suppose, if you're really fancy, you could mount a fuse filesystem over ssh, and use tar from an attached boot volume to send the mounted real boot volume to your destination system via that fuse ssh mount.

Hello,
I have an existing server running on digitalocean that I would like to clone and run on a local proxmox machine.
Digitalocean dose not provide any easy method to export a disk image.
I have the latest version of proxmox installed. Is there an easy way to migrate the existing server to a new proxmox VM over ssh?
Hola amigo conseguiste alguna solución ?

Hello friend, did you find any solution?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!