DVB-S Card Tevii S482 not working

HomerJ.S.

Aug 7, 2024
Hi,

I've a very specific topic with my DVB-S card.

But from the beginning:
I had a server over years with a Ubuntu system. The server hosts a few services (Nextcloud, Piwigo, Openhab, TVHeadend and some Docker Containers) and it all worked fine.

The TVHeadend was a dedicated installation by script. I have a Tevii S482 DVB-S2 card, the card worked for the whole server life, up from Ubuntu 18.04 - 22.04. I cannot remember to install a firmware or driver, it just worked.

For security and backup reasons I set up a new server with proxmox.

At first I set up a Debian VM for the TVHeadend server, without display manager, no X-Server, no gnome ...
The installation worked very fast and without any problem, even the configuration of PCIe passtrough was no problem. TVH showed the DVB card and it found muxes and channels.
At first I didn´t realize the problem till the first record failed. I started a stream and the picture show continuous errors and picture errors. After a restart of the VM it worked a few minutes to get more and more worse.

So first try was to use a Ubuntu VM, but same issue. Then I found a post that gave the hint, the card needs a firmware in /lib/firmware, I downloaded it - but same issue.

Next step, I tried if the card is still working in the old server, and it does, no error no issue. Old and new server are on same spot, so the Sat cables cannot be the problem.

After a lot of new installations, VMs, containers and card changes between the old and the new server I didn´t find any solution.

Last option, I installed the TVH server on the proxmox host, I thought it's a debian system why not give it a chance. And it worked, TVH goes very fast, no error no issue. I know that's against the proxmox concept, but it works.

So now I'm looking for a better solution. I know the hardware works. The software works as well. The problem has to be found in the proxmox config.

System info:
AMD Ryzen 5 4600G
Mainboard: Gigabyte A520M DS3H V2
RAM: 32 GB Crucial DIMM DDR4-3200
SSD; Western Digital WD Blue SN570
DVB-S2 Card: Tevii S482

The DVB card is a PCI-E card, but internal it's PCI-E USB Hub, and the DVB card is a USB device:

Code:
alexander@proxmox:~$ lspci
01:00.0 USB controller: MosChip Semiconductor Technology Ltd. MCS9990 PCIe to 4-Port USB 2.0 Host Controller
01:00.1 USB controller: MosChip Semiconductor Technology Ltd. MCS9990 PCIe to 4-Port USB 2.0 Host Controller
01:00.2 USB controller: MosChip Semiconductor Technology Ltd. MCS9990 PCIe to 4-Port USB 2.0 Host Controller
01:00.3 USB controller: MosChip Semiconductor Technology Ltd. MCS9990 PCIe to 4-Port USB 2.0 Host Controller
01:00.4 USB controller: MosChip Semiconductor Technology Ltd. MCS9990 PCIe to 4-Port USB 2.0 Host Controller
01:00.5 USB controller: MosChip Semiconductor Technology Ltd. MCS9990 PCIe to 4-Port USB 2.0 Host Controller
01:00.6 USB controller: MosChip Semiconductor Technology Ltd. MCS9990 PCIe to 4-Port USB 2.0 Host Controller
01:00.7 USB controller: MosChip Semiconductor Technology Ltd. MCS9990 PCIe to 4-Port USB 2.0 Host Controller

alexander@proxmox:~$ lsusb

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 9022:d484 TeVii Technology Ltd. Dual tuner S2 PCIe (LNB2)
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 9022:d483 TeVii Technology Ltd. Dual tuner S2 PCIe (LNB1)
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

I'll be very grateful for tips and every kind of help!

Thanks
Homer

This probably won't help you now but... I also have a TVH here for testing, unfortunately only with a USB receiver. I also had problems with it at the beginning. (Ubuntu 22.04) it helped me to plug the device from USB3.0 to USB2.0 and very important was kernel 5.15.

Virtualization is very sensitive to any kind of power save mechanism. You might find some flags in your BIOS related to PCIe and other things.

Thanks for the hint. As you mentioned the USB change is not option, and the two PCI-E Slot show both the issue.

But the power options may be point, I'll look for the options in the BIOS an will report.

Reactions: fireon

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!