Dual UPS - Eaton 5130 - fencing solution?

hotwired007

Sep 19, 2011
UK
I have 2 Eaton 5130 UPS connected to my Proxmox cluster, i have 3 dual PSU servers, each with a connection to both UPS, any recommendations on how to get fencing and HA configured?

I've been looking at ePDUs and switched PDUs like this one:

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=4500

Has anyone used anything like it for fencing?

i'm using a mixture of Dual PSU Dell servers, (R415/PE1950) so will need a PDU with at least 20 connectors.

Also is it possible to configure proxmox to check two fence devices per host server?

Last edited:
ahah thanks for that - do you have any recommendations for a suitable alternative? my plans for HA are pretty much on hold until i can find something better than the onboard BMC controls...

ahah thanks for that - do you have any recommendations for a suitable alternative? my plans for HA are pretty much on hold until i can find something better than the onboard BMC controls...

A few years ago we purchased 3 rack mount power units model ap7900 on ebay. Luckily the Proxmox devs had examples using those as fencing devices. So setting them up was easy. We do not have expierence with other fencing devices.

Try searching here and on the net for 'fence' and 'cluster.conf' to check what others have done.

Also we use triple redundant power supplies , and fencing supports that. for exampe:

Code:
  <clusternode name="fbc241" votes="1" nodeid="1">
      <fence>
        <method name="power">
          <device name="apc11" port="4" secure="on"/>
          <device name="apc78" port="4" secure="on"/>
          <device name="apc88" port="4" secure="on"/>
        </method>
      </fence>
    </clusternode>

ah, thanks Rob, so i could easily get two PDU and connect each to my UPS and then configure my fencing to use both PDUs?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!