Dual-boot installation

planetf1

Jun 19, 2024
I have an n100 miniPC with 16GB ram.

I previously installed proxmox which worked great for general VMs. However I specifically needed a 'light duty' standalone desktop. I created a fedora (40) vm, but whilst I had GPU passthrough partially working (proxmox - drivers for display all disabled), it was not reliable. I saw GPU corruption when web browsing, some acceleration tasks failed. various gpu memory/addressing issues. I went through the iommu configuration but never got to the bottom of it.

I have an old intel 5th gen actually running a similar config, but with windows guest, and it actually works well...!

I ended up installing fedora 41 natively, and this has been rock solid. Browser (edge) performs decently. But much of the time the system is very idle, and I could easily add extra workload

So I was wondering about experimenting with proxmox again, I suspect this will take many iterations to explore, which is why I want to retain the native install -- which gets me to the question.

Any recommendations on adding proxmox to the existing environment? Unfortunately I have 4 partitions set up in the current fedora workstation install(/boot/efi /boot, /home, /)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!