Drives setup recommendation

jbravo

Sep 22, 2022
Hello guys!

Right now I'm running a single VM per hypervisor as follows:
1x480GB SSD RAID 0 for Centos/Almalinux OS with Qemu/KVM
2x4TB SSD RAID 1 for the VM image (yes a 4TB qcow2 image)
1x8TB HDD RAID 0 for local backups

I'm doing backups remotely, I do local backups as well because it will be faster in case I need to restore.

My plan is to migrate those servers to Proxmox VE. But I'm not sure if I should continue using this drives setup. Because the OS drive is just one and it may fail. Sometimes when that drive fails I can restore it very quickly but I prefer having it on raid.

The server only have 4 x 3.5" bays and I use 3.5" to 2.5" converters to place SSDs on these.

1. Would you install Proxmox in a 2x8TB HDD array where you also store local backups? Or would the performance of Proxmox decrease a lot when it is on a HDD?

2. Would you remove the 8TB drive, and use that bay to put another 480GB SSD to create a raid 1 for the proxmox OS and do remote backups?

3. Would you keep OS and Backup drives as drive 0 and be ready to restore in case of a drive faliure?

4. Something else?

Thanks!

1. Would you install Proxmox in a 2x8TB HDD array where you also store local backups? Or would the performance of Proxmox decrease a lot when it is on a HDD?
Thats not really important. PVE will work fine on HDDs. Its more important to have the system mirrored to reduce downtime. You just really want enterprise SSDs for the VM/LXC storage.

So yes, mirrored HDDs for PVE+local backups + mirrored SSDs for VM storage would be a good idea.

You also might want to have a look at the Proxmox Backup Server. Its way faster than Vzdump and only consumes a fractionvof the capacity when keeping multiple backups of your guests. PBS can run baremetal beside PVE, in a LXC or a VM in case you can't use a dedicated server for PBS.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!