Does the ARM architecture have limited knowledge about boot disks

Tinwen

Aug 19, 2024
I have an ARM based PVE platform with version 8.1.3. I create a virtual machine in node 1, which can start normally when any hard disk in SCSI 0-7 is used as the boot disk; But when SCSI becomes a number 8 or later, the virtual machine cannot start normally and seems unable to recognize this hard disk.
1725436516124.png

Last edited:
How is this to be understood exactly... the behavior also occurs if you use the boot disk as scsi0 and have an additional disk with scsi8, the system can boot but the disk with scsi8 is not recognized.
Or does it only affect the boot disk when an additonal disk with scsi8 is attached?

At the beginning, I used SCSI0 as the only disk for the virtual machine, successfully loaded it into the system, and the virtual machine started successfully. If the disk is detached from SCSI0 and restored to SCSI8, the virtual machine cannot start normally. And the same operation applied to SCSI0-SISI7 is normal. It seems that there is a problem with disk recognition.

Only a single disk serves as the boot disk, and as long as the boot disk is SCSI8 or later, it will fail to start.

I can reproduce that on x86. Seems that the OVMF will only boot from disks up to scsi7. Even if set correctly in the boot order in the options of the VM.

Without further investigation, I cannot say why this is and if it can be fixed. So for now, the best bet is to keep the boot disks in the scsi0-scsi7 range.

I can reproduce that on x86. Seems that the OVMF will only boot from disks up to scsi7. Even if set correctly in the boot order in the options of the VM.

Without further investigation, I cannot say why this is and if it can be fixed. So for now, the best bet is to keep the boot disks in the scsi0-scsi7 range.
Thank you for your reply

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!