Does proxmox reinstall will destroy zfs pool?

Fargard

Aug 24, 2024
Hello there!
First of all i'm new to proxmox, so sorry if i asking some stupid things.

I have a server with 1 ssd (proxmox installation), 2 hdd 500Gb (configured as mirror zfs pool in proxmox) and some other physical discs which are connected to HBA controller and passed through to one of VMs.
1.jpg

For now i use local and local-lvm only to store some ISO and CT Templates.
Zfs pool called "storage" and used to store VM Disks and CT Volumes.
And i create a directory called "storage-backups" on top of zfs pool (/storage/backups).
Code:
root@pve-01:~# zfs list
NAME                        USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
storage                     271G   178G   104K  /storage
storage/backups            6.62G   178G  6.62G  /storage/backups

For now i want to completely wipe ssd with proxmox (/dev/sde), reformat or even replace it with a smaller one (i don't need 240Gb only to store proxmox and few ISO images and CT Templates) and do fresh proxmox installation due to all this mess which i made while tinkering with proxmox.
If i do so will i be able to mount "storage" zfs pool to new proxmox installation and restore all VMs and CTs?

If yes, how then? Just zpool import storage storage?

Last edited:
Storage pool should be fine, but physically disconnect the disks during reinstall to be 100% safe.

Rpool will of course be destroyed on reinstall, as the installer wipes the destination disk(s). You will have to re-setup the storage pool in Proxmox storage

zpool import -a -f -d /dev/disk/by-id # or by-path

Reactions: Fargard

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!