Does a virtual bridge has a high CPU cost compared to PCIe passthrough for Network cards?

logui

Feb 22, 2024
I am virtualizing OPNsense in Proxmox, I need two network cards from the Host available in the OPNsense VM (WAN, LAN), might need more in the future for VLAN or other network segmentation.

I can enable them in bridge or passthrough mode, I have read that bridge will have a CPU cost and passthrough will have a RAM cost, because all guest memory needs to be allocated at boot.

Please could you help clarify if these statements are true or not, I am using a host device with 64GB RAM, Intel Core i7-10810U CPU, and 6 Intel I225-V Rev. B3 2.5G Ethernet cards.

From a throughput perspective, the ISP is 5G internet so around 300-400Mbps and I don't have a NAS in the LAN or anything else with high traffic.

Thank you

I can enable them in bridge or passthrough mode, I have read that bridge will have a CPU cost and passthrough will have a RAM cost, because all guest memory needs to be allocated at boot.
#1 might be true, but at normal WAN speeds you won't notice except maybe on the weakest hardware.
#2 is true but why are you allocating more RAM than it needs to begin with?

Please could you help clarify if these statements are true or not, I am using a host device with 64GB RAM, Intel Core i7-10810U CPU, and 6 Intel I225-V Rev. B3 2.5G Ethernet cards.

From a throughput perspective, the ISP is 5G internet so around 300-400Mbps and I don't have a NAS in the LAN or anything else with high traffic.
The CPU cost of a bridge won't be noticeable with that CPU and traffic. In my opinion PCI pass-thru is not worth it for a case like this.

Thank you, what is better from a security perspective (network traffic isolation, tampering, etc.) network card Bridge or PCIe passthrough? It seems to me PCI passthrough, but I might be wrong, thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!