[documenting] my setup

sgtfoo

Apr 5, 2012
I'm just going to document my setup I recently did with Proxmox on a home server box that used to run Fedora 14 for file serving, media serving, vpn-ing, DHCP and DNS host .. all with the Amahi.org software tied in

box specs:
Asus M5a97 motherboard; AMD 1045T x6 95w 2.7Ghz CPU; 32GB ddr3 1333Mhz RAM; Nvidia PCI-e 256MB video card; Dual-Nic PCI-e card; dual-sata PCI-e controller card; several large hard drives, but a 74GB WD Raptor for OS to start.

- Setting up Proxmox is super easy so no issues there

- Figuring out how to directly connect a drive right thru to a KVM guest is not documented clearly anywhere... little things like this should be so tucked-away

- Figuring out how to deal with installing and bonding interfaces was ok, and now works well, but modifying the interfaces file was much more effective than what the GUI would allow

- the Java-based console feels buggy, but at version 2.1, Proxmox is young but has much promise so I'll let the bugs get hammered out

- beyond that, the performance of this Fedora 14 Guest KVM OS is delightful and after about 2 hours of tinkering around I'm comfy with the Proxmox web-gui.

- In the end, for easier management and understanding what's happening to things, I installed LXDE and Xorg onto the Proxmox host. It's allowing me to VNC to a desktop where I can move ISOs around and mount things manually in /etc/fstab if needed. I may easily remove Xorg and LXDE later on once I'm more comfortable modifying things without the desktop.

- up next is adding another drive exclusive to the F14 guest for file storage and then the rest of the guests are a mix of Windows Server and other Linux machines... we shall see how performance-consumer-grade parts fair for this project.

The community is helpful, but more straight-foward wiki articles or documentation is definitely needed for new people to jump into Proxmox.

Do you mind sharing how you get the network to work? I tried with CentOS but couldn't get network to work. Thank you.

I use virtio drivers for networking in the VMs.
otherwise I've 3 nics on the host...
eht0 = solo
eth 1 and eth2 = bond0
vmbr0 = eth0 + bond0

that's it.
I also find it useful to force static IPs in the VMs themselves.

--------------------------

Anyone have any idea why my host suddenly reports half the RAM I have installed, where before it showed all 32GB??

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!