[SOLVED] DNS won't resolve on main box

citrix

Dec 24, 2019
Hi all,

scratching my head on this one, i have searched google but not had a great deal of luck. So for background i setup Debian10 and installed Proxmox all working ok.
I've loaded up a couple of guests Win10 again all working ok and can surf internet in and out from them etc.

However on the main box via ssh i can't actually ping google.co.uk or use apt-get as desitnation is unreachable, i've tried playing with the resolv.conf but no luck, any ideas this is current error:

Ping:
root@proxmox:~# ping google.co.uk
PING google.co.uk (172.217.169.3) 56(84) bytes of data.
From prox4m1.proxmox.com (192.168.1.47) icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
From prox4m1.proxmox.com (192.168.1.47) icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
From prox4m1.proxmox.com (192.168.1.47) icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable

Apt-get:
root@proxmox:~# apt-get update
0% [Working]
Err:1 https://enterprise.proxmox.com/debian/pve buster InRelease
Could not connect to enterprise.proxmox.com:443 (51.91.38.34). - connect (113: No route to host)

resolv.conf:
Note: I added 1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1
domain localdomain
search localdomain.
nameserver 192.168.1.1
nameserver 1.1.1.1
nameserver 1.0.0.1

DNS resolution seems to work - ping resolves google.co.uk to 172.217.169.3 .. - however the network connectivity seems the problem - Destination host Unreachable, no route to host...

my first guess would be some firewall rules (on the router or firewall providing connectivity rather than on the PVE node itself) are blocking the connection attempts...

If this is not the case - I would check the network configuration:
* `ip route show` - should give you the (ipv4) routing table
* `ip route get 172.217.169.3` should show you where the packets for google.co.uk are sent to
* `/etc/network/interfaces` contains the network config of your node - check the reference documentation regarding how to set it up properly:
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-sysadmin.html#sysadmin_network_configuration

Reactions: citrix
DNS resolution seems to work - ping resolves google.co.uk to 172.217.169.3 .. - however the network connectivity seems the problem - Destination host Unreachable, no route to host...

my first guess would be some firewall rules (on the router or firewall providing connectivity rather than on the PVE node itself) are blocking the connection attempts...

If this is not the case - I would check the network configuration:
* `ip route show` - should give you the (ipv4) routing table
* `ip route get 172.217.169.3` should show you where the packets for google.co.uk are sent to
* `/etc/network/interfaces` contains the network config of your node - check the reference documentation regarding how to set it up properly:
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-sysadmin.html#sysadmin_network_configuration
Thanks for the speedy response, just realised what it was i had the gateway in interface incorrectly listed, which wasn't impacting the guests but was stopping the main machine.

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov
Thanks for the speedy response, just realised what it was i had the gateway in interface incorrectly listed, which wasn't impacting the guests but was stopping the main machine.
I have this EXACT same problem. The VM's will communicate and run updates, but the main will not. I did have 2 interfaces but now I only have the one configured on vmbr0. I keep looking but I can't figure out what I have wrong.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!