Display disk size as GB and not KB/MB

Alyke

Mar 4, 2024
Hello all,
I just P2V a server and i noticed that the size of the disk is displayed as KB and MB and not GB.
1725953911060.png

can i change that to GB?

Hello all,
I just P2V a server and i noticed that the size of the disk is displayed as KB and MB and not GB.
View attachment 74489

can i change that to GB?
Yes. You can change that simply to edit your VM configuration.

Code:
nano /etc/pve/qemu-server/129.conf

And change a line like this (for example) to GB -> size=35G
Code:
scsi0: local-lvm:vm-123-disk-1,discard=on,iothread=1,size=35G,ssd=1

Reactions: Alyke
nd change a line like this (for example) to GB -> size=35G

Even if there's a decimal value?
From summary it shows 931.51GB 1725958355065.png
and is the disk 0 from the screen: 976762584K

As for now i don't remember the exact size of the original disk, but can i change in the config and setting like 932GB? Will it still work?

i just tried to create another vm with a decimal disk and it show as KB and not GB, maybe the problem is the decimal value?

As for now i don't remember the exact size of the original disk, but can i change in the config and setting like 932GB? Will it still work?
Yes exactly, I always make it a bit bigger.

i just tried to create another vm with a decimal disk and it show as KB and not GB, maybe the problem is the decimal value?
Yes exactly, that's the reason. Just use full GB sizes. e.g. 44GB, 51GB, 2TB, etc.

Hi,
please note that editing the configuration file does not actually change the size of the disk. The value in the configuration is only informational and Proxmox VE will query the actual disk size if required. E.g. qm rescan --vmid <ID> will update the sizes in the configuration to their actual values again. Simply editing the configuration is just lying to yourself ;)

Proxmox VE will display the value as e.g. 932G if it is actually aligned to that size, you can use qm disk resize for that.

Reactions: _gabriel and mariol

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!