Disk performance

hintalo68

Feb 6, 2024
Hi Everybody

I have a debian 12 with 6.1.0-25 kernel. The hardware is HP dl380 g9 .
On the native linux kernel I have run this test three times.
sysbench fileio --file-total-size=5G prepare
The results was these.
917.16 MiB/sec
937.52 MiB/sec
934.25 MiB/sec

After that I have installed proxmox enviroment with 6.8.12-1-pve kernel, and run again the test.
The result was these.
621.06 MiB/sec
596.09 MiB/sec
594.96 MiB/sec

Why did the io speed drop so much , after installed proxmox ?
Thank

The hardware inside your HP dl380 g9 is what in # of disk(/s ?) and setup before and after install of pve ?

Pinne mal einen anderen kernel zum booten, der 6.8 is ein bisschen buggy.

So just think about what you messured before ... you have 5 disk in raid6 which means 3 disks netto as 2 are (rotating) write parity. Measured >300MB/s per 600GB sas hdd is unrealistic and your results are cache results in case of even write and read unrealistic while the "slow ~600MB/s" looks same also.
Don't know the specs for a 600GB hdd yet but if I assume 133MB/s that max out at 400MB/s sustained and all other is caching mechanism.
That does not mean that pve has a more bad caching than your debian before but it still doesn't make it more easy to compare which circumstances were activ to get that different results on same hardware. I would not trust on sysbench and even the ever best benchmark is "the real running application" for the host !!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!