Disk failure with no backed up config

Rhodesia

Oct 22, 2024
So I did something pretty stupid over the last few days. I buried a lot of time setting up quite a few VMs in a new Proxmox install. I was putting the finishing touches on it last night with a couple of bits to do this morning before backing up the config. I woke up this morning to find the disk that the proxmox OS is running on had failed (Typical). The VMs were all stored on a separate disk from the OS, is there any way to import these without a configuration backup (Fresh proxmox install on a new drive)?

For shure but you need to create the (empty) virtual machines (cpu,mem,disk,network,etc) first again, shut them down.
Config your separate disk into your node+datacenter.
Maybe edit the <vmid>.conf files in /etc/pve/qemu_server/. dependend new vs old vm configs.
Start your already installed vm's.

I did not expect it to be that simple! That's great news. I assume once I have the disk into node+datacentre I'd just be able to use the shell to explore the existing VM configs? I made a couple RAW and a couple qcow2 but I can't remember which.

Depending on your choosen volume-/filesystem the shell commands differ but lsblk is a good start point to see which cmd's will follow.
Yeah, therefor the config backups are good for ... but next time you will have them I strongly assume yet :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!