Disable Update Notifications

Mar 20, 2023
Hi,

I have some hosts still on Proxmox 7 (7.4-16 to be exact). On those hosts, i could disable the (fairly frequent) notifications from update packages being available by simply editing /etc/pve/datacenter.cfg and adding notify: package-updates=never

However, i have some new hosts running 8.1.3 and when i make these same changes, i'm not sure if it's working. On the old hosts, the change is reflected in the UI under Datacenter > Options > Notify ... in the new hosts, this is not shown.

Did the method to make this change, change in Proxmox 8? The docs seem to reflect it still working in the same way as before. :confused:

Many thanks for reading.

Did the method to make this change, change in Proxmox 8? The docs seem to reflect it still working in the same way as before. :confused:

Proxmox VE 8.1 introduced a new system for notifications/notification routing. These can be configured under 'Datacenter > Notifications' - check out the chapter about notifications in our documentation [1]. If you want to disable update notifications, you'd have to modify the default notification matcher (assuming that you have not created other ones) to exclude notifications of type 'package-updates'.

For instance:
1705650994685.png

Regarding the documentation: You are right, there are still some leftovers from the 'old' system there - thanks for pointing this out! I'll prepare a patch to remove them.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#chapter_notifications

Reactions: Fatz and Azunai333

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!